If you take pride in being compassionate, honest, professional, and safe, consider an exciting and rewarding career at Shannex. Our communities offer more than a place to work – they welcome and celebrate Great People who inspire meaningful connections while Leading the Way to Better Living™.
We are searching for an Accountant to join our Finance team based in Halifax, NS.
You will be surrounded by supportive and talented team members who make our communities great places to live, work and visit. As an established and respected organization in the healthcare sector, Shannex offers opportunities for growth, development, and advancement. And at the end of every day, you will know you’ve made a measured difference in the lives of our residents. Additional benefits include:
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits plan (eligible immediately upon hire) including an Employee and Family Assistance Program
- RRSP program (5% employer matching)
- Vacation accrual (begins immediately) and travel insurance
- Free onsite parking
- Employee discounts on select apparel, fitness, and retail partners through our Perks Program
- Access to continuing education and training through Shannex’s Centre of Excellence
- Opportunities to be part of sector innovation and continuous improvement initiatives
- Recognition and Rewards for service excellence and safety
About the Opportunity
By providing financial statement review and analysis and financial support to the Retirement Living, Enhanced Care and Corporate divisions, you will:
- Communicate and coordinate with other finance departments to ensure both internal and external financial reporting deadlines are met
- Review financial statement results at site level and investigate/resolve any oddities/queries
- Follow up on variances from budget/expectations, with detailed and well supported explanations
- Maintain accounting records (i.e., posting journal entries)
- Completed month end processes including accruals, HST remittances, GL account reconciliation and bank reconciliations
- Work with the management team to implement internal control measures and process improvements
- Work with, and support, operations to interpret their operational events from a financial perspective and flag potential issues
- Assist in the preparation of external auditor requirements for year-end financial statement audits of all Shannex entities
- Prepare ad-hoc reporting and analysis
In addition to placing high value on continuous improvement, collaboration and accountability, you bring:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- At least two to three (2-3) years experience in a similar role
- Strong computer literacy including advanced working skills in Microsoft Office
- A solid understanding of accounting and reporting standards
- Clear communication skills with courtesy and tact and a positive, can-do attitude
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems by interpreting information and using independent judgement to assess risk
- The ability to multi-task and thrive in a challenging, fast-paced environment with the ability to meet deadlines
- Experience using Great Plains and Yardi software and/or experience in health care or health-related fields are considered assets
- A passion for the healthcare sector and/or ensuring seniors have access to quality accommodations, services and care.
It all began in 1988 when our Founder, Joseph Shannon, purchased a single nursing home in his hometown of Sydney, Cape Breton. For more than three decades, Shannex has grown as a trusted provider of senior accommodations, services and care in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Ontario. Our industry-leading services are inspired by residents and delivered by Parkland Retirement Living and Lifestyle Residences, Shannex Enhanced Care, Faubourg du Mascaret, Milestone Communities, and Care at Home team members who create an exceptional resident experience and a positive, fulfilling work environment where every voice matters.
If you’re ready to join the Shannex team of Great People, apply today!
Great People is a core value at Shannex based on the belief that our team members are the spirit and foundation of the organization. Shannex believes equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging is about creating a culture that embraces the uniqueness of individuals, where every person is treated fairly and where racism and discrimination are not tolerated. At Shannex, every team member belongs.
All applications are kept in strict confidentiality.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Our company policy requires all employees be vaccinated against COVID-19