If you take pride in being compassionate, honest, professional and safe, consider an exciting and rewarding career at Shannex. Our communities offer more than a place to work – they welcome and celebrate Great People who inspire meaningful connections while Leading the Way to Better Living™.
We are searching for a Full tiime Cook to join our Parkland Clayton Park team based in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
You will be surrounded by supportive and talented team members who make our communities great places to live, work and visit. As an established and respected organization in the healthcare sector, Shannex offers opportunities for growth, development and advancement. And at the end of every day, you will know you’ve made a measured difference in the lives of our residents. Additional benefits include:
- Approximate hourly wage: $16.08-$18.88
- 8-11 hour shifts between: 730am-730pm
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits plan (eligible immediately upon hire) including an Employee and Family Assistance Program
- RRSP program (5% employer matching)
- Vacation accrual (begins immediately) and travel insurance
- Free onsite parking
- Employee discounts on select apparel, fitness, and retail partners through our Perks Program
- Access to continuing education and training through Shannex’s Centre of Excellence
- Opportunities to be part of sector innovation and continuous improvement initiatives
- Recognition and Rewards for service excellence and safety
About the Opportunity
- Plans and prepares meals according to established standards, procedures, recipes and menus, including preparing special meals to meet appropriate therapeutic menu modifications according to established guidelines
- Assists with preparation of food for special functions (e.g. catering, theme dinners) to ensure service meets established standards;
- Reports any recipe shortages, discrepancies or quality issues to the Executive Chef or supervisor in a timely manner;
- Clean and sanitize cooking station daily; maintain the cleanliness of kitchen equipment such as ovens, kettles, mixers, and others in order to maintain safety and sanitation in the kitchen to meet legislative and organizational standards; responsible for the clear and correct labeling of excess food;
- Follows disposal procedures according to established waste management guidelines for organics, paper, plastics, cans/bottles, non-recyclable material, etc;
- You have a high-school diploma or a GED.
- You possess a valid Food Handler’s certificate
- You have at least one year of experience with cooking.
- You can read & follow detailed recipes/instructions as required and communicate in an efficient manner in a team-oriented setting.
- You can provide a clear criminal record check.
It all began in 1988 when our Founder, Joseph Shannon, purchased a single nursing home in his hometown of Sydney, Cape Breton. For more than three decades, Shannex has grown as a trusted provider of senior accommodations, services and care in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Ontario. Our industry-leading services are inspired by residents and delivered by Parkland Retirement Living and Lifestyle Residences, Shannex Enhanced Care, Faubourg du Mascaret, Milestone Communities, and Care at Home team members who create an exceptional resident experience and a positive, fulfilling work environment where every voice matters.
If you’re ready to join the Shannex team of Great People, apply today!
Great People is a core value at Shannex based on the belief that our team members are the spirit and foundation of the organization. Shannex believes equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging is about creating a culture that embraces the uniqueness of individuals, where every person is treated fairly and where racism and discrimination are not tolerated. At Shannex, every team member belongs.
All applications are kept in strict confidentiality.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Our company policy requires all employees be vaccinated against COVID-19