If you take pride in being compassionate, honest, professional and safe, consider an exciting and rewarding career at Shannex. Our communities offer more than a place to work – they welcome and celebrate Great People who inspire meaningful connections while Leading the Way to Better Living™.
We are searching for an Occupational Therapist to join our team based in Bible Hill, Nova Scotia.
You will be surrounded by supportive and talented team members who make our communities great places to live, work and visit. As an established and respected organization in the healthcare sector, Shannex offers opportunities for growth, development and advancement. And at the end of every day, you will know you’ve made a measured difference in the lives of our residents. Additional benefits include:
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits plan including an Employee and Family Assistance Program
- RRSP program (5% employer matching)
- Vacation accrual (begins immediately) and travel insurance
- Free onsite parking
- Employee discounts on select apparel, fitness, and retail partners through our Perks Program
- Access to continuing education and training through Shannex’s Centre of Excellence
- Opportunities to be part of sector innovation and continuous improvement initiatives
- Recognition and Rewards for service excellence and safety
About the Opportunity
- Administers and interprets standardized and non-standardized tests and evaluations to assess resident with occupational therapy related concerns such as level of independence in activities of daily living, seating and mobility, swallowing and meal texture, pressure reduction and skin integrity, splinting
- Develops individualized treatment plans based on clinical records, observation, and referral; confers with interdisciplinary staff in regard to an overall treatment plan for residents
- Evaluates the progress of residents in relation to occupational therapy treatment provided through use of tests and observation; confers with nursing staff and physicians in regard to effectiveness of treatment
- Prepares progress reports, funding requests, and statistical reports relating to occupational therapy treatment program and resident needs and maintains treatment records as required
- Participates as a member of the interdisciplinary team; gives evaluation and progress reports on residents. Designs and produces adaptive equipment, utensils, splints or other orthotic devices as needed for use by residents; instructs resident and staff in the use of the equipment
- Coordinates management of facility equipment; contacts suppliers for service and maintenance of wheelchairs, geri chairs and power wheelchairs
- Provides staff training on ergonomics, seating assessment, skin integrity, equipment and other related topics as required
In addition to placing high value on continuous improvement, collaboration and accountability, you bring:
- A Bachelors or Master of Science in Occupational Therapy, current registration with the Nova Scotia College of Occupational Therapists
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of occupational therapy, anatomy, physiology, and kinesiology as related to the practice of occupational therapy, the use of adaptive equipment, wheelchairs, positioning chairs, utensils and splints and knowledge of the potential hazards associated with equipment, tools, and materials used in occupational therapy.
- Previous experience in working in nursing homes or health care environment an asset.
- A passion for the healthcare sector and/or ensuring seniors have access to quality accommodations, services, and care.
It all began in 1988 when our Founder, Joseph Shannon, purchased a single nursing home in his hometown of Sydney, Cape Breton. For more than three decades, Shannex has grown as a trusted provider of senior accommodations, services and care in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Ontario. Our industry-leading services are inspired by residents and delivered by Parkland Retirement Living and Lifestyle Residences, Shannex Enhanced Care, Faubourg du Mascaret, Milestone Communities, and Care at Home team members who create an exceptional resident experience and a positive, fulfilling work environment where every voice matters.
If you’re ready to join the Shannex team of Great People, apply today!
Great People is a core value at Shannex based on the belief that our team members are the spirit and foundation of the organization. Shannex believes equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging is about creating a culture that embraces the uniqueness of individuals, where every person is treated fairly and where racism and discrimination are not tolerated. At Shannex, every team member belongs.
All applications are kept in strict confidentiality.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.