If you take pride in being compassionate, honest, professional and safe, consider an exciting and rewarding career at Shannex. Our communities offer more than a place to work – they welcome and celebrate Great People who inspire meaningful connections while Leading the Way to Better Living™.
We are searching for a Cook 1 to join our Parkland on Eglinton West team based in Etobicoke, Ontario.
You will be surrounded by supportive and talented team members who make our communities great places to live, work and visit. As an established and respected organization in the healthcare sector, Shannex offers opportunities for growth, development and advancement. And at the end of every day, you will know you’ve made a measured difference in the lives of our residents. Additional benefits include:
- Hourly wage: Starting at $24.95
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits plan (eligible immediately upon hire)
- Employee and Family Assistance Program
- RRSP program (5% employer matching) or pension plan
- Vacation accrual (begins immediately)
- Free onsite parking
- Access to continuing education and training through Shannex’s Centre of Excellence
- Opportunities to be part of sector innovation and continuous improvement initiatives
- Recognition and Rewards for service excellence and safety
About the Opportunity
- Plan and prepare meals according to menus and recipes; prepare special diets and meals to meet appropriate modifications according to established guidelines;
- Provide input to the Chef into menu development;
- Promote a safety culture by continuously working safely including but not limited to identifying and reporting hazards, following safe work practices and procedures, wearing personal protective equipment, supporting others to work safely and completing safety education;
- Clean and sanitize cooking station daily; maintain cleanliness of kitchen equipment such as ovens, kettles, mixers and others in order to maintain safety and sanitation in the kitchen to meet legislative and organizational standards; responsible for the clear and correct labelling of excess food;
- Check and record food temperatures daily on a rotational basis for mealtimes as per Health Promotion Act;
- Reporting any food shortages, discrepancies or quality issues to the Chef or supervisor in a timely manner.
- Follows safety, environment, and infection control practices, as per facility policies;
- Demonstrates exceptional customer service and communication skills.
In addition to placing high value on continuous improvement, collaboration and accountability, you bring:
- Basic Food Safety Training/the Food Handlers Certification.
- A post-secondary culinary training and are Red Seal Certified.
- At least one year’s experience in high-volume food preparation, and thrive working in a fast-paced environment and as part of a communicative team committed to exceeding residents’ expectations and providing nutritious and satisfying meals.
- Other assets include: having CPR and Emergency First Aid certification, as well as previous experience working with seniors in a seniors’ living or long-term care environment. Advanced proficiency in the English language is required, proficiency in other languages considered an asset.
- You have passion for the healthcare sector and/or ensuring seniors have access to quality accommodations, services and care.
It all began in 1988 when our Founder, Joseph Shannon, purchased a single nursing home in his hometown of Sydney, Cape Breton. For more than three decades, Shannex has grown as a trusted provider of senior accommodations, services and care in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Ontario. Our industry-leading services are inspired by residents and delivered by Parkland Retirement Living and Lifestyle Residences, Shannex Enhanced Care, Faubourg du Mascaret, Milestone Communities, and Care at Home team members who create an exceptional resident experience and a positive, fulfilling work environment where every voice matters.
If you’re ready to join the Shannex team of Great People, apply today!
Great People is a core value at Shannex based on the belief that our team members are the spirit and foundation of the organization. Shannex believes equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging is about creating a culture that embraces the uniqueness of individuals, where every person is treated fairly and where racism and discrimination are not tolerated. At Shannex, every team member belongs.
All applications are kept in strict confidentiality.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Our company policy requires all employees be vaccinated against COVID-19.